Storrs — UConn announced Thursday morning that six football players have tested positive for the coronavirus.
The affected players have entered into isolation protocol and the team has paused football activities.
In a Thursday morning release, the athletic department said strength and conditioning training will be “the only activity permitted for those who are not in medical quarantine or isolation,” although these sessions will take place within small groups while adhering to physical distancing and masking protocols.
“Following these most recent test results, we feel that temporarily pausing football activities is the best course of action for the team and the campus population,” athletic director David Benedict said in the release. “The well-being of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is our top priority and we are focused on the health of those who have become infected. We will remain vigilant in this area and will take all necessary action to ensure the health of our university community.”
UConn canceled its 2020 season on Aug. 5 over concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic, but the team, which reported to campus last month, still has access to the football facilities and has had some football-related activities following proper medical guidelines.