Carla Suárez Navarro may have played her final US Open.
The two-time US Open quarterfinalist officially withdrew from the US Open today. The former world No. 6 previously pulled out of this week’s Western & Southern Open, which is being played at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows.
Japan’s Kurumi Nara moves into the main draw in Suárez Navarro’s place with Whitney Osuigwe now the next alternate in the event another player pulls out.
Suárez Navarro, who will celebrate her 32nd birthday on September 3rd, has said the 2020 season will be her farewell to the pro circuit. Given the Coronavirus disruption of the season it’s uncertain if the Spaniard will extend her farewell tour into 2021.
Daily exercise and healthy habits keep me fit. 💪🏻😉
La importancia de hacer ejercicio diario y tener hábitos saludables. 🍏🏋🏻♂️ pic.twitter.com/z6YrW0wUJJ
— Carla Suárez Navarro (@CarlaSuarezNava) August 6, 2020
“2020 will be my last year as a professional tennis player,” Suárez Navarro said at a press conference in Spain before this season began. “Tennis has given me so much more than I could imagine when I started playing with twelve years.
“I am beginning to have other priorities and tennis is a very demanding sport that requires many sacrifices. This last year will be just as intense and demanding. The objectives are clear and both my team and I are committed to make it as professional as possible.”
Photo credit: Mark Peterson/Corleve