MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Four counties were listed in the orange and red categories in Saturday’s WVDHHR school re-entry metrics and protocols map, resulting in the cancellation of eleven more high school football season-opening games scheduled for September 4.
The official map, which determines status of extracurricular activities for the next week, was posted Saturday evening.
Fayette, Kanawha and Logan counties are orange, meaning that practices are allowed but games are not. Monroe County is red, resulting in a halt to all practices and games.
The canceled games are:
- Cabell Midland at Riverside
- Capital at South Charleston
- Oak Hill at Westside
- St. Albans at Nitro
- Winfield at Herbert Hoover
- Sissonville at St. Marys
- Midland Trail at Tolsia
- Richwood at Meadow Bridge
- George Washington at Jefferson
Previously canceled games include:
- Musselman at Martinsburg
- James Monroe at Pendleton County (Pendleton & Mount View are nearing an agreement to play)
- Poca at Chapmanville (Poca will play at Wheeling Central Catholic)
- Mount View at Man
- Logan at Sissonville
The traditional 11-week high school football season was previously compressed to 10 weeks, meaning that many of the affected teams will be unable to reschedule these games.